Below are the slides from a talk I gave at VALA 2014 on how we went about trialling Linked Data at the Victorian Parliamentary Library. There is also a longer paper that goes along with the talk.
The Horizon LMS from SirsiDynix provides a utility to export marc records from the system. This is quite robust, except if your bib records are quite large and have a lot of subject tems. The following VBscript allows you to export smaller batches of marc records and skip over known bad records.
Yesterday I spent a really interesting morning at Museum Victoria attending and presenting at a workshop on Linked Open Data in Libraries, Archives and Musuems (LOD-LAM) organised by Culture Victoria. As usual with these things, there were varying levels of technical and background knowledge on the topic. However, I think the level of the presentations was spot on and judging by the number of questions and discussions happening there was a lot of interest in this topic.
Mia Ridge (@mia_out) gave an excellent introduction to Linked Data and how it is used in libraries, galleries and museums. She’s put together a wiki with links to all sorts of useful stuff.
Below are the slides from my talk on activities at the Victorian Parliamentary Library (astute viewer will notice they are mostly lifted straight out of my VALA talk).
Here’s the slides from another talk from VALA2012 where I talked about how we’ve been using OpenCalais at the Victorian Parliamentary Library to add tags and semantic data to one of our databases. You can also see the talk here or download a longer paper that goes with the talk.
I was lucky enough to attend VALA2012 and also present a couple of papers. The first was about some Open Source software that we created at the Victorian Parliamentary Library in order to track reference requests. Its not quite finished, but as soon as its wrangled into a coherent jumble of code, I’ll be putting it up on http://github.com/pov.
I’m quite happy with the system and it got some good comments from people at VALA. Here are the slides I presented that show a bit of the user interface. Programmed using the Play! Framwork.
Below are my slides from a talk I gave to the Melbourne Inmagic User group on jQuery and DB/Textworks. Unfortunately all the web stuff is behind a firewall, so I can’t link to it, however, I’ll put the plugins I developed up on
google code github.